Questions related to the dendroecology class

For questions related to a dendroecology class
Lars-Ake
Site Admin

Questions related to the dendroecology class

Post by Lars-Ake »

Here we can post and read questions related to the class.
Robert Weigel

Re: Questions related to the dendroecology class

Post by Robert Weigel »

This is Lars-Åke logged in as Robert Weigel to check that Robert is able to post on this board.
Robert Weigel

Post by Robert Weigel »

Robert Weigel wrote:This is Lars-Åke logged in as Robert Weigel to check that Robert is able to post on this board.
This is Robert. This forum should be a good solution for our purpose! Thank you :)
Robert Weigel

Post by Robert Weigel »

We are just starting to measure our first ring-width series in CooRecorder. Unfortunately, some of my students use Macbooks. Lars-Åke, do you know any means by how we might run CooRecorder/CDendro on macOS? I know that LINUX users may use WINE as a windows simulator, which works fine with the software.
Lars-Ake
Site Admin

Post by Lars-Ake »

Lars-Åke, do you know any means by how we might run CooRecorder/CDendro on macOS? I know that LINUX users may use WINE as a windows simulator, which works fine with the software.
A few years ago
ryszardjkaczka@gmail.com
demonstrated CooRecorder running on his Mac.
I THINK that he had a Windows license added to his machine to be able to do this.
If so, it is probably not a quick fix to set this up.
/Lars-Åke
P.S. Please use email to ake@cybis.se to make me wake up. For some reason I did not see your comment of yesterday until today.
My intention with this forum section was mainly to get a channel to quickly distribute info to all your students. /LÅ
Robert Weigel

Post by Robert Weigel »

Thanks for your reply! We tried several virtual machines for windows on Mac, but the easiest and fastest solution for now was to borrow some windows laptops from other students^^ But I will also contact Ryszard for more information!

Next question: In earlier versions of CDendro I could export (Collections/Save current collection/Export to tabular format) the ring widhts INDEX series as detrended series, if I checked e.g. "Heavy" in the "De Trending for Ring Width Curve Display". However, if I do so now, it seems that I get the raw ring width series exported. I guess this was a bug-fix, but 1) how could I get the detrended series out of CDendro. 2) I see that I can at least export the mean value sample as detrended data (Samples/Save ring widht data (as one single column)). This wid file is sorted from the sample date backwards from top to bottom, right?

The background is that we do not have time to dive in the depth of other programms, e.g. R with the dplR package, to do a separate detrending. I am searching for an easy way to extract detrended data from CDendro to directly go on working in Excel, for some very simple and basic climate-growth correlations.
Lars-Ake
Site Admin

Post by Lars-Ake »

1) how could I get the detrended series out of CDendro.
Open any saved collection with your raw ring width data. (I had Swed302Namdo.rwl)
For your later testing: Open (double click) any member (I had 6680NY) and select it as your reference.
Go back to your collection:
See that you have selected the proper detrending method at "DeTrending for ring width curve"
Then use the command Collections/Save as new collection with detrended members/.../as Heidelberg formatted file
and save your new collection as e.g. Swed302NamdoHeavyDetrend.fh (there is another command for rwl saving)
Then open that .fh file and double click the new version of 6680NY. Look at the green/blue curves in the lower part of the curve diagram.
See that the checkbox Ind.ring-w scaling" IS UNCHECKED. so that you have the same scaling of your curves.
The blue curve represents the original raw ring widths, the green curve is the detrended version.

You can now export your version of Swed302NamdoHeavyDetrend.fh using the various export mechanisms.
/Lars-Åke
Lars-Ake
Site Admin

Post by Lars-Ake »

This wid file is sorted from the sample date backwards from top to bottom, right?
Right! The youngest ring widths of a .wid file are at the beginning of the file - or top of the column if you like to say so.
It is the same with CooRecorder: You have to start setting coordinate points from the outside of the tree and inwards.
/Lars-Åke
Lars-Ake
Site Admin

Post by Lars-Ake »

This is how the heavy detrended (green) version of 6680NY matches towards the original raw ring width version (blue).
/Lars-Åke